US Central Command representative said that he cannot confirm reports of its alleged accidental airstrike on Iraqi forces in Mosul.
WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The US-led coalition in Iraq cannot confirm reports of its alleged accidental airstrike on Iraqi forces in Mosul, a coalition source told RIA Novosti on Saturday. F/A-18 Hornet © Flickr/ Marines US Airstrike in Mosul Reportedly Leaves 90 Iraqi Servicemen Dead Earlier in the day, Iraqi media said a total of 90 Iraqi servicemen had been killed and 100 injured as a result of a mistake strike by the US Air Force in besieged Mosul. The airstrike also damaged Iraqi military hardware, forcing troops had to retreat from the area. An Iraqi army source later confirmed to Sputnik that such an incident took place earlier this week. “We do not have any reports confirming this,” a US Central Command representative said. The Iraqi operation to liberate Mosul, which was occupied by the Islamic State (ISIL or Daesh) terrorist group (outlawed in Russia) in June 2014, has been ongoing since October 17. The offensive is led by Kurdish Peshmerga fighters and Iraqi soldiers backed by the US-led anti-terror coalition.
Read more: https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201612101048406681-us-iraq-mosul-airstrikes/